Fantasia 2000 Sprite

     I make a lot of paper dolls. I always have, starting when my oldest was still a toddler. It a good way to pass the time, get a little drawing practice in, and get her creative juices flowing. Well, I have done a number of them lately, mostly ancient Egyptian-themed or medieval or 18th century French. They don't have multiple outfits or anything. They are just dolls made out of paper that my girls color and then play with, sleep with, take them outside, and pretty much keep until they rip or wear out.
Yesterday I had drawn the ballerina from "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" of Fantasia 2000 fame. Today my daughters asked me to make them a paper doll of "the Goddess of Spring." So I turned on the Silly Symphonies, played the cartoon of the same title and...found out that this was NOT what they were talking about. They were talking about the sprite (she has no name) from the "Firebird Suite" segment of Fantasia 2000. This was a tough one. She has no real clothes, and not really a body either most of the time. So I had to sort of guess and make up a paper doll version as best I could. This is what I came up with.
 My youngest had me color in hers. I had to make a few changes as best I could (this was a photocopy; my oldest got the original), like her smile and the strand of hair over her eyes and the leaves sprouting from her. But they are happily playing and making "forest houses" for their spites to live in.
I tried not to spend too much time on getting it perfect or accurate as far as how close she is to her mercurial screen counterpart. I'm no dummy. Somebody's will inevitably rip and I'll be making more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloaks But No Daggers

The Book of Kells: The Name Of Jesus

The Sacramental Keepsake Box